Postdoctoral research position at APHYS, ENAC-EPFL
Ecole Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne (EPFL)
SCHOOL OF ARCHITECTURE, CIVIL & ENVIRONMENTAL ENGINEERING, ENAC
Environmental Engineering Institute, IIE
LABORATORY OF PHYSICS OF AQUATIC SYSTEMS, APHYS
in collaboration with the Aquatic Remote Sensing group of Eawag
The Aquatic Physics Laboratory at the Institute of Environmental Engineering of EPFL Lausanne (Switzerland) in collaboration with the Aquatic Remote Sensing group of Eawag has an opening of an early-career postdoc position on optical water properties in the context of primary production in stratified lakes.
In collaboration with partners at Eawag and the Universities of Geneva and Lausanne and other researchers (http://wp.unil.ch/lexplore) we started an interdisciplinary project estimating primary production with new in-situ methods. To strengthen the team, we look for a postdoc with competence and experience in measuring optical and biophysical properties of natural waters, and an interest in remote sensing. We also expect a strong background in data analysis, profound know-ledge in freshwater sciences and fieldwork experience.
The applicant’s main responsibility will be the acquisition and analysis of data acquired in Lake Geneva by a Thetis profiler (http://www.seabird.com/thetis-profiler) and from the future LéXPLORE Research Platform (http://wp.unil.ch/lexplore). Both infrastructures enable in situ measurements at unprecedented frequencies and allow a better linkage between spaceborne remote sensing, vertical biophysical properties and large-scale ecosystem processes (see Aquatic Physics website: http://aphys.epfl.ch/). Your readiness to collaborate with related researchers in aquatic sciences, remote sensing and hydrodynamics is important. This position is meant for at least two years, with the potential of prolongation, for a candidate who looks for a career in aquatic sciences.
- PhD in aquatic sciences, environmental engineering, or remote sensing
- Experience in measurements with optical sensors and research interest and background in aquatic physics, modelling, large data sets and interdisciplinary projects
- Excellent communication skills
- Demonstrated interest in a scientific career including quality publications
- Excellent knowledge of English (French is of additional advantage).
- Build-up of competences in optical water properties and Thetis profiler operation
- Collaboration with the Eawag Remote Sensing (www.eawag.ch/en/department/surf/) group; joint publications with partner scientists; field measurements; organization of workshops in an interdisciplinary environment
- Supervision of Masters students within projects.
Starting date: immediately, on the basis of competitive application (position is open until filled; first interviews will be after mid-May 2018).
Contract duration: minimum 2 years (further extension on mutual agreement).
Application: Applications should include (i) the CV, (ii) a motivation letter with a research outline and (iii) three contacts for references. Please, send your application to email@example.com.