Post-Doctoral Researcher in Hydrology
Helmholtz Centre for Environmental Research (UFZ)
Natural Hazards (NH)
We are looking for a capable Post-Doctoral Researcher (m/f/x) to join us at the Department Catchment Hydrology of the Helmholtz Centre for Environmental Research – UFZ (Halle Saale, Germany).
The researcher will work on the project “Propensity of rivers to extreme floods: climate-landscape controls and early detection – PREDICTED”, funded by the German Research Foundation.
The project investigates the propensity of river basins to generate extreme floods as a result of the interactions between climatic attributes and features of the landscape. The researcher will utilize hydro-climatic records and a mechanistic-stochastic description of streamflow and floods to unveil the reliability of observed time series and the actual flooding hazard in diverse river basins.
The successful candidate will have:
- A Ph.D. (or the candidate will have completed all PhD requirements by the starting date of the appointment) in Hydrology, Civil/Environmental Engineering or a related field of Environmental Sciences, ideally with experience in stochastic hydrology;
- Excellent programming skills (e.g., Python, Matlab, R), with experience in data analysis and the development and application of analytical and numerical models;
- Fluency in English and good writing skills. Publications in peer-reviewed journals are an advantage;
- Curiosity and an entrepreneurial attitude;
- Willingness to discuss and contribute ideas towards the development of research projects;
- Interest in co-supervising doctoral researchers and master students.
Further desirable assets are:
- Experience with application of statistical methods to large hydrological datasets;
- Knowledge of hydro-climatic processes in mountain environments and modeling of snow dynamics;
- Expertise in river sediment transport.
The post is a 100% position with a duration of 2 years. Working hours and starting date are negotiable.
Should you be interested or have enquiries, please contact Dr. Stefano Basso (email@example.com).
The application should include cover letter, CV and contact details of three referees. Only applications received through our online portal will be considered.
We encourage you to get in touch with us early, and look forward to your application!