Job alert! EGU Editorial Manager
13 September 2021
The European Geosciences Union (EGU) is the leading scientific society for Earth, planetary, and space science research in Europe. With our partner societies worldwide, we foster fundamental geoscience research, alongside applied research that addresses key societal and environmental challenges. EGU actively promotes open science practices, including through its innovative reviewing and publishing processes.
To fulfill EGU’s vision of realizing a sustainable and just future for humanity and for the planet, EGU organizes and supports a variety of meetings, and delivers numerous education and outreach activities. As part of its portfolio of activities to support its members, EGU publishes 19 open-access scientific journals through its partner Copernicus Publications (https://publications.copernicus.org/).
Due to the continuing growth and further development of the EGU publications, we are recruiting an additional staff member to join the EGU Executive Office team based in Munich, Germany.
EGU is seeking to appoint a full-time, permanent Editorial Manager to assist the executive editors of its journals, which also rely on the volunteer contributions from numerous scientific editors and referees.
- You will serve as a point of contact for the EGU journals’ executive editors and the EGUsphere coordinator and will be liaising with Copernicus when necessary
- You will assist the executive editors in facilitating smooth and efficient manuscript handling
- You will help to ensure the high-scientific standards of the EGU journals in terms of open-access publishing, including open data and code and data archiving.
- You will help promoting EGU journals and highlight articles across the scientific community and a broader audience in collaboration with the EGU Office Communications team and Copernicus
- You will help with journal-specific tasks as identified by the executive editors
- You will support the journal executive editors and EGUsphere coordinator with assessing the scientific quality of submissions and with identifying topical editors/moderators if needed
- You will regularly solicit feedback from authors and reviewers
- You will facilitate the growth and help with the scientific oversight of EGUsphere, EGU’s new preprint server
- You have a degree in geoscience or in a related field, at least at the Bachelor level.
- A PhD is desirable but not required.
- You are enthusiastic about open access science communication and ready to make a long-term commitment to the development of EGU journals.
- You are motivated and possess good organizational, interpersonal, and time management skills.
- You have strong written and verbal communication skills in English
- Letter of motivation (maximum 1 page)
- CV (maximum 2 pages)
Please note that only complete applications, with all required materials in English, will be accepted. Shortlisted candidates will be asked to provide contact details for two referees.
Terms of employment
This position, to start in autumn 2021, will be subject to a 6-month probation period before confirmation as a permanent member of staff. It is a full-time appointment (40 hours per week). The successful candidate will be entitled to 30 vacation days per calendar year in addition to public holidays in Bavaria including 24 and 31 December. This candidate will benefit from German statutory health insurance and the company pension scheme, and contribute to the compulsory pension insurance. The successful candidate will be required to relocate to Munich as soon as it is feasible to do so. This position will also require occasional travel to the Copernicus office in Göttingen as and when necessary.
We offer a competitive salary, and indicative remuneration will be in the range of €48,000 – €58,000 (annual gross) subject to expertise and experience.
Informal enquiries about this position can be made to the EGU Executive Secretary (email@example.com).
Applications should be addressed to Dr. Barbara Ervens (EGU Interim Publications Committee Chair) and Dr. Philippe Courtial (EGU Executive Secretary) and be submitted by e-mail in a single PDF file to firstname.lastname@example.org. Review of applications will start on 11 October 2021 and will continue until the position is filled. Please include ‘Editorial Manager’ in the subject line.
EGU Executive Secretary