Welcome to the EGU’s Education section! Here you can find information about EGU's educational initiatives, including:
- Geosciences Information for Teachers (GIFT) workshops
- Planet Press – geoscientific news for children
- Teacher's Corner – teaching resources in the geosciences
- GeoLocations Database – geological locations across Europe
You can also access the contact details of the EGU Committee on Education on this page.
- EGU Committee on Education seeking two new members
The Committee on Education, which coordinates the EGU activities related to secondary and tertiary education, is looking for new members to help further its programmes. [ Read more ]
- Geosciences Information for Teachers (GIFT) Workshop - Topic: The Mediterranean
The 2017 Geosciences Information For Teachers (GIFT) workshop will take place on April 24-26 2017 at the EGU General Assembly in Vienna, Austria. The theme for the GIFT workshop is ‘The Mediterranean‘. It has been organized by the Committee on Education of EGU, with a large participation of the Istituto Nazionale di Geofisica e Vulcanologia (INGV) Roma, Italy.
The mediterranean area shows a distinctive geological fingerprint which attracted generations of Earth scientists. Mountain chains, orogenic belts, extensional basins, active volcanoes, violent earthquakes, tsunamis, landslides and floods testify to the vigorous active tectonics that characterize the region. The same area, owing to the favorable climate, availability of resources (i.e., water and raw materials) and the presence of the sea, allowed for trade and cultural exchanges, and made it a cradle of culture.
Currently, the area is densely populated with progressively increasing anthropogenic pressures, which, when combined with the peculiar geological setting, result in heightened vulnerability to climate change enhanced by increasing atmospheric carbon dioxide.
The workshop will explore most of these aspects. A hands-on experience session will also be part of the workshop. [ Read more ]
- GIFT Distinguished Lectures Series - Call for Proposals
The EGU Committee on Education is going to inaugurate an annual series of Geosciences Information for Teachers (GIFT) Distinguished Lectures, to be given by top scientists who have previously participated as speakers in GIFT workshops during EGU General Assemblies. High school teachers, high school directors and educators for teachers from the European area are welcome to request a lecture, for which the EGU Committee on Education will cover the travel and subsidise the costs of the speaker. [ Read more ]
- Planet Press: This project brings Earth, planetary and space science research to children. Planet Presses are short versions of EGU press releases – articles for journalists based on scientific research published in EGU journals – written in child-friendly language. All of EGU’s science press releases issued to date now have a corresponding kids version. [ Read more ]