Job opportunity at the EGU Executive Office: Communications Officer
09 October 2017
The EGU (http://www.egu.eu/) is a non-profit geosciences organisation dedicated to the pursuit of excellence in the Earth, planetary, and space sciences. The Union has more than 14,000 members and organises an annual General Assembly that attracts over 14,000 scientists, as well as a number of thematic meetings, and education and outreach activities. It publishes a diverse portfolio of 17 scientific journals that use an innovative open-access format.
We are seeking to appoint a Communications Officer to work with the EGU Media and Communications Manager in maintaining and further developing media- and science-related communications between the EGU and its membership, the working media and the public at large. The Communications Officer will also work under the direction of the EGU Executive Secretary on activities related to the promotion of the organisation. The position will be based at the EGU Executive Office in Munich, Germany.
- Manage the official EGU blog, including writing, commissioning and editing posts
- Administer the EGU network of blogs, including division blogs
- Manage the Union’s social media presence year-round
- Work as a point of contact for early career scientists at the EGU office
- Maintain and further develop EGU’s networking activities, particularly those aimed at early career scientists
- Participate in the promotion of the EGU
- Academic degree (e.g., MA, MSc, PhD), preferably in the geosciences or communication sciences
- Professional experience of online and social media platforms, including blogging
- Ability to understand and translate complex science into simple concepts and write about scientific research to general audiences in an engaging and accurate manner
- Good writing and editing skills
- Good team player with excellent interpersonal, organisational and communication skills
- Attention to detail
- Expert command of English
- Experience with early career scientist networks would be an advantage
- Letter of motivation (1 page)
- CV (2 pages), including links to current or past online presence (web pages, blogs, Twitter feeds, etc.)
- Two writing samples (each no more than 5 pages long) that demonstrate ability to communicate science to a wider audience (blog posts, magazine or newspaper articles, press releases, etc.)
Please note that only complete applications, with all required materials in English, will be accepted. Shortlisted candidates will be asked to perform a writing task and to provide contact details of two referees.
Salary and starting date
This position, to start in January 2018, will be subject to one year of probation. Remuneration is according to the German public service pay scale and can be up to E13 TV-L, depending on expertise and experience.
Informal enquiries about this position can be made to the Media and Communications Manager, Bárbara Ferreira (email@example.com, +49-89-2180-6703) or the current EGU Communications Officer, Laura Roberts (firstname.lastname@example.org, +49-89-2180-6717). Applications should be addressed to Bárbara Ferreira and Philippe Courtial and be submitted by e-mail in a single file to email@example.com by 5 November 2017.
Bárbara Ferreira (EGU Media and Communications Manager)
EGU Executive Office
80333 Munich, Germany
[ Back ]