General Assembly Mentoring Programme
EGU is offering a mentoring programme for novice conference attendees, students, and early career scientists at its annual General Assembly. The programme aims to facilitate new connections that may lead to long-term professional relationships within the Earth, planetary and space science communities. We anticipate the programme to be a rewarding experience for both mentees and mentors, so do consider signing up below.
Mentees will be matched one-on-one with a senior scientist (mentor) to help them navigate the conference, network with conference attendees, and exchange feedback and ideas on professional activities and career development. The EGU will match mentors and mentees prior to the conference, and is also organising two meeting opportunities (at the Sunday ice-breaker and on Monday morning) for those taking part in the mentoring programme.
Mentors and mentees should be able to do the following:
- Contact your mentee/mentor at least one week before the General Assembly
- Discuss objectives for the mentoring, for example: sharing science, networking, or career opportunities
- Meet your mentee/mentor in person at the beginning of the conference to get acquainted and make plans to achieve the desired objectives
- Meet in person at the planning meeting on Monday morning (10:30) and if possible at the Sunday ice-breaker (19:00)
- Meet again at the end of the week, as necessary, to answer any remaining questions on additional steps the mentee might take to further meet their objectives and/or to reflect on the usefulness of the mentoring experience
- For mentors: Introduce your mentee to 3-5 colleagues
- For mentees: Approach your mentor with any questions or reflections on science sessions, career development, or networking
For more information, please contact email@example.com.
Registration for the Mentoring Programme
Registration for the EGU General Assembly Mentoring Programme is currently closed.
Registration is possible from 1. February until four weeks before the General Assembly.
Mentoring programme events during the General Assembly
Mentees and mentors are required to attend the following two events:
Mentoring Programme Meeting Point at the EGU ice-breaker
Sunday, 23 April 2017
19:00 – 19:45
A chance for mentors and mentees to meet in person, and discuss the mentoring programme goals.
Mentoring Programme Planning Meeting
Monday, 24 April 2017
10:30 - 11:30
A general introduction to the mentoring programme and the opportunity to plan which sessions/events you will attend together during the meeting.