The EGU runs a substantial outreach programme, coordinated by the Outreach Committee.
- Increase public awareness of the scientific work of the EGU membership and facilitate dissemination of information beyond the geosciences community.
- Identify and highlight societal challenges that can be addressed by the EGU membership and harness the expertise of members to address societal needs.
- Establish and strengthen links between the EGU membership and policy- and decision-makers, primarily but not exclusively in Europe.
- Facilitate interactions and transfer of information within the geoscience community via newsletters, websites, data portals, bulletins, blogs, and social media.
- The membership of the Union and its component groups
- Geoscientists who are not Union members
- National or international geoscience societies, agencies and enterprises, both within and outside Europe
- People, institutions, organisations and scientific unions engaged in fields other than geosciences, both within and outside Europe
- Decision makers, the working media and the non-scientific public, primarily but not exclusively in Europe
For more information, see outreach best practices.
Current outreach activities
- EGU newsletter – monthly information service
- News & press
- Blogs & social media
- Networking opportunities
- General Assembly mentoring programme
- Imaggeo, the geosciences image and video repository
- EGU TV
- Public Engagement Grants
The EGU Outreach Committee works closely with the Equality, Diversity and Inclusion Committee, established as working group by the EGU Council in Autumn 2018.
Composition of the Outreach Committee
- Chair: Martin Archer (email@example.com)
- Members: Camilla Imarisio, Eleanor Armstrong, Emmanuel Salmon, Katinka Bellomo, Philippe Jousset, Roberta Bellini, Rosalie Tostevin, Solmaz Mohadjer, the Head of Media, Communications and Outreach, the Media and Communications Officer, the Policy Manager, the Topical Events and Education Committee chairs as ex-officio members, and the EGU Executive Board