The EGU runs a substantial outreach programme, coordinated by the Outreach Committee.
- Increase public awareness of the scientific work of the EGU membership and facilitate dissemination of information beyond the geosciences community.
- Identify and highlight societal challenges that can be addressed by the EGU membership and harness the expertise of members to address societal needs.
- Establish and strengthen links between the EGU membership and policy- and decision-makers, primarily but not exclusively in Europe.
- Facilitate interactions and transfer of information within the geoscience community via newsletters, websites, data portals, bulletins, blogs, and social media.
- The membership of the Union and its component groups
- Geoscientists who are not Union members
- National or international geoscience societies, agencies and enterprises, both within and outside Europe
- People, institutions, organisations and scientific unions engaged in fields other than geosciences, both within and outside Europe
- Decision makers, the working media and the non-scientific public, primarily but not exclusively in Europe
For more information, see outreach best practices.
Current outreach activities
- EGU newsletter – monthly information service
- News & press
- Blogs & social media
- Networking opportunities
- General Assembly mentoring programme
- Imaggeo, the open access geosciences image repository
- EGU TV
- Public Engagement Grants
Sign up for the EGU database of expertise
If you would like to be included in the database, please complete your policy profile which can be accessed through the member login page. By providing details through this page you will be registered for this database and will be emailed from time to time with requests to respond to specific events or policy relevant information. If you have any questions or difficulties editing your policy profile please email email@example.com.
Composition of the Outreach Committee
- Chair: Mioara Mandea (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Members: Claudia Alves de Jesus Rydin, Martin Archer, Anne Burlet-Parendel, Hazel Gibson, Helen Glaves, Miguel Gomez-Heras, Sam Illingworth, Andreas Lang, Giuliana Panieri, Mathew Stiller-Reeve, the Media and Communications Manager, the Communications Officer, the Policy Officer, the Topical Events and Education Committee chairs as ex-officio members, and the EGU Executive Board