Job alert! EGU Editorial Manager
13 September 2022
The European Geosciences Union (EGU) is the leading scientific society for Earth, planetary, and space science research in Europe. With our partner societies worldwide, we foster fundamental geoscience research, alongside applied research that addresses key societal and environmental challenges. EGU actively promotes open science practices, including through its innovative reviewing and publishing processes.
To fulfill EGU’s vision of realising a sustainable and just future for humanity and for the planet, EGU organises and supports a variety of meetings, and delivers numerous education and outreach activities. As part of its portfolio of activities to support its members, EGU publishes 19 open-access scientific journals and provides a preprint server through its partner Copernicus Publications.
Due to the continuing growth and further development of the EGU publications, we are recruiting a staff member to join the EGU Executive Office team based in Munich, Germany.
EGU is seeking to appoint a full-time, permanent Editorial Manager to (1) assist the executive editors of its journals and the coordinator of the preprint repository and interactive community platform, EGUsphere, and (2) act as an interface between the EGU Publications Committee and Copernicus Publications.
- You will serve as a point of contact for the EGU journals’ executive editors and EGUsphere coordinator, and will be liaising with Copernicus when necessary
- You will assist the executive editors in facilitating smooth and efficient manuscript handling and in additional journal-specific tasks
- You will facilitate and support the growth, promotion and scientific oversight of EGUsphere, EGU’s new preprint server and repository
- You will help to ensure the high scientific standards of the EGU journals in terms of open-access publishing, including open data and code and data archiving
- You will help promote EGU journals and highlight articles across the scientific community and more widely in collaboration with the EGU Office Communications team and Copernicus
- You will develop and lead inter-journal initiatives in collaboration with the Publications Committee
- You have a degree in geoscience or in a related field, at least at the Bachelor level
- A PhD is desirable, but not required
- Previous experience with EGU activities and publishing is desirable but not required
- You are ready to make a long-term commitment to the development of EGU journals and to improve their visibility
- You are enthusiastic to pursue activities related to open access communication
- You are motivated and possess good organisational, interpersonal, and time management skills.
- You have strong written and verbal communication skills in English
- Letter of motivation (maximum 1 page)
- CV (maximum 2 pages)
Please note that only complete applications, with all required materials in English, will be accepted. Shortlisted candidates will be asked to provide contact details for two referees.
Terms of employment
This position, to start in autumn 2022, will be subject to a 6-month probation period before confirmation as a permanent member of staff. It is a full-time appointment (40 hours per week). The successful candidate will be entitled to 30 vacation days per calendar year in addition to public holidays in Bavaria including 24 and 31 December. This candidate will benefit from German statutory health insurance and the company pension scheme, and contribute to the compulsory pension insurance. The successful candidate will be required to relocate to Munich as soon as it is feasible to do so.
We offer a competitive salary, and indicative remuneration will be in the range of €48,000 – €58,000 (annual gross) subject to expertise and experience.
Informal enquiries about this position can be made to the EGU Executive Secretary Philippe Courtial (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Applications should be addressed to Dr. Barbara Ervens (EGU Publications Committee Chair) and Dr. Philippe Courtial (EGU Executive Secretary) and be submitted by e-mail in a single PDF file to email@example.com. Review of applications will start on 14 October 2022 and will continue until the position is filled. Please include ‘Editorial Manager’ in the subject line.
EGU Executive Secretary