EGU Communications Officer
European Geosciences Union
The European Geosciences Union (EGU) is the leading organisation for Earth, planetary and space science research in Europe. With our partner organisations worldwide, we foster fundamental geoscience research, alongside applied research that addresses key societal and environmental challenges. Our vision is to realise a sustainable and just future for humanity and for the planet. We currently publish 18 diverse open-access scientific journals and organise meetings, and education and outreach activities. The EGU General Assembly is the largest and most prominent European geosciences event, with over 16,000 scientists from all over the world in 2019.
Climate: Past, Present & Future (CL)
Cryospheric Sciences (CR)
Earth and Space Science Informatics (ESSI)
Earth Magnetism & Rock Physics (EMRP)
Energy, Resources and the Environment (ERE)
Geochemistry, Mineralogy, Petrology & Volcanology (GMPV)
Geosciences Instrumentation and Data Systems (GI)
Hydrological Sciences (HS)
Natural Hazards (NH)
Nonlinear Processes in Geosciences (NP)
Ocean Sciences (OS)
Planetary and Solar System Sciences (PS)
Soil System Sciences (SSS)
Solar-Terrestrial Sciences (ST)
Stratigraphy, Sedimentology and Palaeontology (SSP)
Tectonics and Structural Geology (TS)
We are seeking to appoint a Communications Officer to work with the EGU Head of Media, Communications & Outreach in maintaining and further developing media- and science-related communications between the EGU and its membership, the working media and the public at large. The Communications Officer will also work under the direction of the EGU Executive Secretary on activities related to the promotion of the organisation. The position will be based at the EGU Executive Office in Munich, Germany.
- Manage the official EGU blog, including writing, commissioning and editing posts
- Administer the EGU network of blogs, including division blogs
- Manage the Union’s social media presence year-round and supervise the running of the EGU’s division social media accounts
- Work as a point of contact for early career scientists at the EGU office
- Maintain and further develop EGU’s networking activities, particularly those aimed at early career scientists
- Participate in the promotion of the EGU
- Academic degree (e.g., MA, MSc, PhD), preferably in the geosciences or communication sciences
- Professional experience of online and social media platforms, including blogging
- Ability to understand and translate complex science into simple concepts and write about scientific research to general audiences in an engaging and accurate manner
- Good writing and editing skills
- Good team player with excellent interpersonal, organisational and communication skills
- Attention to detail
- Expert command of English
- Experience with early career scientist networks would be an advantage
- Letter of motivation (1 page)
- CV (2 pages), including links to current or past online presence (web pages, blogs, Twitter feeds, etc.)
- Two writing samples (each no more than 5 pages long) that demonstrate ability to communicate science to a wider audience (blog posts, magazine or newspaper articles, press releases, etc.)
Please note that only complete applications, with all required materials in English, will be accepted. Shortlisted candidates will be asked to perform a writing task and to provide contact details of two referees.
Salary and starting date
This position, to start in Autumn 2019, will be subject to a 6-month probation period. We offer a competitive salary and indicative remuneration will be in the range of €48,000 – €55,000.00 subject to expertise and experience.
Informal enquiries about this position can be made to the EGU Media and Communications Manager, Bárbara Ferreira (firstname.lastname@example.org, +49-89-2050-76340) or the current EGU Communications Officer, Olivia Trani (email@example.com, +49-89-2050-76341).
Applications should be addressed to Bárbara Ferreira and Philippe Courtial (EGU Executive Secretary) and be submitted by e-mail in a single file to firstname.lastname@example.org by 15 August 2019 and quoting reference Communications Officer.