Postdoctoral Position in Mineralogy and Geochemistry of Seafloor Hydrothermal Systems
Institute of Science and Environment, University of Saint Joseph, Macau
Ocean Sciences (OS)
Planetary and Solar System Sciences (PS)
Under the new call for postdoctoral researchers of the Macao Science and Technology Development Fund (FDCT), the Institute of Science and Environment (ISE) of the University of Saint Joseph (USJ) under a fixed-term contract (24 months). The candidate will work in the group of Professor Ágata Alveirinho Dias, applying geochemical methods in combination with mineralogical studies to address questions related with the formation, distribution and preservation of seafloor massive sulfide deposits. Depending on the candidate profile, the work can be mainly focused in one of the following topics: (1) understand and constrain the physical and chemical processes of seafloor mineralization, or; (2) understand the contribution of serpentinization processes in the formation of seafloor hydrothermal deposits.
Job summary and duties
- Perform independent work on mineralogy/petrography and geochemistry (including isotopic analyses) of hydrothermal deposits and hosted rocks;
- Availability to participate in oceanographic missions;
- Availability to travel to partner institutions in Europe, China and elsewhere;
- Report results in conferences, reports and scientific publications;
- Participate in other activities of the lab, such as science promotion events, workshops or internal meetings.
- Collaborate in the supervision of Master and Doctoral students.
- PhD in geology or related areas;
- Strong domain in mineralogy and geochemistry of ore deposits and/or in petrology and geochemistry of mafic/ultramafic rocks;
- Experience in mineralogical and geochemical techniques (e.g. petrographic microscopy, EPMA, SEM-EDS, XRD, isotopic analyses);
- Previous work in hydrothermal systems.
Only applications submitted in English and to the email email@example.com until November 08, 2019, will be considered. Applications are considered to be submitted only after the candidate has received a confirmation e-mail from ISE. Applications should include the following elements:
1. Motivation letter (including a self-evaluation of the relevance of the activities and scientific publications for the position and career development plan);
2. Detailed CV with full publication list;
3. Single PDF with up to 5 selected publications from the last 5 years;
4. Copy of doctoral certificate;
5. Documentary evidence supporting the application requirements listed in “Eligibility criteria” (degree certificates, awards certificates, digital copies of publications);
6. Up to three reference letters (optional).