Faculty in Atmospheric Sciences
The Cyprus Institute
The Cyprus Institute (CyI) is a non-profit research and educational institution with a strong scientific and technological orientation, emphasizing international collaborations and cross-disciplinary research and post graduate education. CyI, through its established research centers, addresses challenging issues that are important at both the regional and international levels. Many of its research activities are being carried out in partnership with leading institutions in the respective thematic areas.
The Cyprus Institute (CyI) invites applications for new faculty members at the level of Assistant, Associate, and/or full Professor in Atmospheric Sciences at the CyI’s Climate and Atmosphere Research Center (CARE-C).
The position(s) offer excellent possibilities for professional development of highly motivated individuals in the framework of the EU-H2020 “EMME-CARE” (Eastern Mediterranean and Middle East Climate and Atmosphere Research Centre; http://emme-care.cyi.ac.cy/; TEAMING Grant no. 856612), within which the Cyprus Institute is establishing a “Centre of Excellence” in Climate and Atmosphere research for the EMME region in cooperation with EU Advanced Partners (Max Planck Institute for Chemistry in Germany; University of Helsinki in Finland; and CEA in France).
The rank to be awarded for each selected candidate (Assistant Professor, Associate Professor, or Professor) will be determined based on the qualification and experience of the successful applicant.
Description of the Position
The new Faculty member(s) will advance the CARE-C’s research and innovation agenda in one of its scientific focus (Environmental Observations and/or Predictions) covering experimental and/or modelling activities on key climate drivers (reactive trace gases, aerosols, clouds, greenhouse gases), addressing their regional impact on Air Pollution and Climate.
The successful candidate(s) will promote the overall scientific excellence of the Cyprus Institute in the EMME, Europe, and beyond, train young scientists to become international leaders, combine both research and innovation with strategic partners (Academia, Public stakeholders, Private partners) to develop new products/services at the closest of end-user needs.
The selected faculty member(s) will conduct their research in CARE-C, a recently established research center of the Cyprus Institute composed by c.a. 75 research staff from more than 15 different nationalities, within a highly attractive working environment where English is the working language for both research and administration.
The successful candidate(s) are expected to build up an independent research thrust with the highest international standards, leveraging CyI and CARE-C resources (45 million euros in the framework of EMME-CARE) and utilizing the highly competitive research facilities of the Cyprus Institute such as the “Cy-Tera” HPC (http://web.cytera.cyi.ac.cy/), the Unmanned System Research Laboratory (USRL, http://usrl.cyi.ac.cy), and the Cyprus Atmospheric Observatory (CAO, http://www.cyi.ac.cy/index.php/cao.html) which is part of international networks (WMO-GAW, EMEP, ACTRIS, TCCON).
Duties and Responsibilities:
The successful candidate(s) will be responsible for helping to shape and advance the Cyprus Institute’s and CARE-C’s research and innovation agenda by:
1. developing and implementing R&D strategies appropriate to the Institute’s mission to support the departments of the republic of Cyprus and become a regional knowledge hub in the field of air pollution and climate change
2. actively participating and ultimately leading world-class research programs in atmospheric sciences using state-of-the-art experimental and modelling tools
3. securing financial and other resources from national and international sources;
4. mentoring, educating and providing research guidance to graduate students in CyI’s doctoral program (particularly the Environment and Atmospheric Sciences program);
5. initiating and sustaining high-level collaborative projects with leading research institutions that conduct research in areas related to his/her respective fields;
6. communicating the results and implications of research conducted at CARE-C and The Cyprus Institute at all levels, including the academic community, the public at large and political and economic decision makers.
1. The successful candidate(s) are expected to be scholars of international standing with a minimum of five (5) years post-doctoral research experience.
2. An excellent track record of peer-review scientific publication in the top 10 journals of her/his field
3. Participation in many international research programs and/or field campaigns
4. Teaching/Mentoring young (Master/PhD) researchers
5. A proven technical/scientific expertise in a specific experimental and/or modelling field of atmospheric research
6. Experience in raising funds from (inter)national competitive calls for research projects
7. The selected candidate(s) should have a demonstrated ability to work independently and the potential to become international leaders in their disciplines.
8. They must have excellent interpersonal skills aimed at maintaining contacts in academic, business and governmental circles.
9. Proficiency in spoken and written English is a prerequisite.
For full consideration, interested applicants should process their application at The Cyprus Institute JobBoard (http://jobboard.cyi.ac.cy/) based on the instructions given. Applicants should submit 1) a detailed curriculum vitae including his/her list of publications, 2) a letter of interest including vision statement, and 3) a list of five (5) references (including their contact information; address, email, phone) (all documentation should be in English and in PDF Format). For further information, please contact Prof. Jean Sciare, (email@example.com). Please note that applications which do not follow the announcement’s guidelines will not be considered.
Recruitment will continue until the position is filled.
Contact Person: Jean Sciare
Reference Number: CYI_FAS_20_02