Researcher (Science/Technology) in Research Institute for Marine Geodynamics (IMG)
Japan Agency for Marine-Earth Science and Technology (JAMSTEC)
Japan Agency for Marine-Earth Science and Technology (JAMSTEC) has the main objective to contribute to the advancement of academic research in addition to the improvement of marine science and technology by proceeding the fundamental research and development on marine, and the cooperative activities on the academic research related to the Ocean for the benefit of the peace and human welfare.
Marine Seismology Research Group, Subduction Dynamics Research Center (SDR), Research Institute for Marine Geodynamics (IMG)
We are soliciting applications for a Project Researcher (Ⅱ) to work on a research project titled “Research Project for Great Earthquake and Tsunami along the Nankai trough (tentative) (FY2020-FY2024 PI :Shuichi Kodaira)“
To evaluate ground motion and tsunami, monitor and forecast large earthquakes in the subduction zone, and improve the accuracy of hypocenter determination around the Nankai Trough, a three-dimensional seismic P-wave velocity model of the Nankai Trough (3D model) has been constructed by compiling previous results of crustal structural studies at IMG. We plan to renew the 3D model as a multi-parameter model that includes information of S-wave velocity, density, etc., as well as P-wave velocity to contribute to disaster-prevention measures in the Nankai Trough area.
Project tasks will include the following:
・Research on constructing the detailed seismic P-wave and S-wave velocity models based on seismic reflection, refraction and seismic observation data
・Research on multi parameterization of the 3D model (seismic P-wave and S-wave velocities, density, etc.) by using various geophysical data and geochemical studies
・Research on evaluating the error and reliability of the constructed 3D model
・Related research work pertaining to the project
[Relevant Research Fields]
Seismology, Geology, Geophysics
*The recruitment is subject to the acquisition of the budget for this commissioned research.
· Researcher (Science) is expected primarily to perform theoretical work, observations, and experiments related to research and development, through fundamental, original, or advanced research to conduct fundamental, originative, or advanced research based on theories, observations, and experiments.
· Researcher (Technology) is expected to conduct fundamental, originative, or advanced technology development and related research.
Project Researcher (Ⅱ):
Project Researcher (Ⅱ) is expected independently to conduct research and technology development and to share results through scientific publications and achieve technology innovation to contribute to the project.
*There may be a change in affiliation in the case of reorganization of the Agency. *At the time of appointment, the Job Title (Science/Technology) will be determined in accordance with JAMSTEC bylaws.
The successful applicant must have completed a Ph.D. in a closely related field of research or technology development.
・Interest in research for disaster prevention and mitigation
・Full knowledge in Windows/Unix/Linux systems
・Experience with processing and interpreting seismic survey data (not necessary)
Japan Agency for Marine-Earth Science and Technology (JAMSTEC)
Yokohama Institute for Earth Sciences (YES),
3173-25 Showa-machi, Kanazawa-ku, Yokohama-city,
Kanagawa, 236-0001, JAPAN
Working Conditions & Contract Period
(1) Number of positions:
1 or 2 positions as Project Researcher (Ⅱ)
(2) Type of contract:
(3) Working Hours:
Discretionary labor system
(4) Contract Period:
The total period will be terminated on March 31, 2025 after four contract renewals. *First contract period is from October 1, 2020 to March 31, 2021. *Start date is negotiable. However it might be changed due to the influence of COVID-19 expansion. *Contract period can be renewed depending on the performance and working attitude of the successful applicant. *Contract period might change due to budget constraints of the project. *In accordance with JAMSTEC bylaws, on reaching the age of 65 during an employed fiscal year, the contract period will expire at the end of the same fiscal year. This bylaw may change. *This position is a non-tenure-track, fixed-term employee position.
Terms of Employment
(1) Upon appointment, the successful applicant will receive relocation allowances in accordance with JAMSTEC bylaws.
(2) Allowance for commuting expenses will be provided.
(3) Employee and JAMSTEC will share the premiums for social insurance and labor insurance in the proportion specified by current statute.
(4) JAMSTEC employee cooperative provides various subsidies for mutual aid and welfare services.
(5) Housing lease service will be available.
(6) Holidays and vacations: Saturdays, Sundays, public holidays, year-end, and New Year’s holidays. Annual vacations with pay, special vacations, leave of absence to care for a family member, and maternity leave are provided.
(1) Submitted documents will be managed safely according to strict rules. Personal information received during the recruiting process will be used only for recruitment screening and appointment procedures and not for any other purposes.
(2) Successful applicant should submit a certificate documenting his/her health upon appointment.
(3) Please kindly inform us in case of withdrawal of your application by E-mail.
(4) Above conditions may be changed at the discretion of the agency.
(5) For non-Japanese speakers, the interview and daily work will be conducted in English.
Diversity and Inclusion
In our quest to perform state-of-the-art research and develop scientific and technological innovations based on diverse values, JAMSTEC not only actively recruits women based on gender equality but also strives to create a work environment in which individuality is respected regardless of nationality, race, gender, self-recognition, age, or the presence or absence of disabilities.
In response to the diverse needs of our employees, we will also promote more flexible work styles and environments, including shorter working hours and opportunities for discretionary work.
(1) Required documents *Please ensure that you submit all required documents and that all documents are fully completed
a) CV. Valid E-mail and home address must be provided.
b) Summary of your research (1 page)
c) Research plan for the project (1 page)
d) Publication (achievement) list including thesis titles. *Please list publications in refereed (peer-reviewed) journals separately from unrefereed publications. *Include DOI codes if available.
e) List of competitive research funds awarded to the applicant. *If you have not been awarded any, include “none” in the list.
f) Two (or fewer) representative publications in PDF formats.
g) Two letters of recommendation from two senior research researchers (1 letter from each). The person providing the recommendation should email to JAMSTEC directly with a signed letter as an attached file in PDF format. Please include “SDR CGS20-005 and the applicant’s name” in the subject line. A letter of recommendation written by a JAMSTEC employee or a JAMSTEC visiting researcher will not be accepted.
The required documents must be sent by E-mail and should reach JAMSTEC on or before the closing date. *All files must be converted to PDF format. E-mail attachments can be up to 25 MB. Please include “SDR CGS20-005” in the subject line.
(3) Interview and appointment
Applicants will be selected based on submitted application material, followed by an interview. *Web-based online interviews by Zoom are expected basically due to the influence of COVID-19 expansion.
August 5, 2020 at 13:00 in Japan time (The application documents must arrive at JAMSTEC by this date.)
Human Resources Section, Human Resources Dept., JAMSTEC
(E-mail: recruit-app[at]jamstec.go.jp) *Please replace [at] with @ when addressing E-mails. *For inquiries by E-mail, please include “SDR CGS20-005” in the subject line.