Postdoctoral Researcher in Research Institute for Marine Geodynamics (IMG)
Japan Agency for Marine-Earth Science and Technology (JAMSTEC)
Japan Agency for Marine-Earth Science and Technology (JAMSTEC) has the main objective to contribute to the advancement of academic research in addition to the improvement of marine science and technology by proceeding the fundamental research and development on marine, and the cooperative activities on the academic research related to the Ocean for the benefit of the peace and human welfare.
Solid Earth Geochemistry Research Group, Volcanoes and Earth’s Interior Research Center (VERC), Research Institute for Marine Geodynamics (IMG)
We are soliciting applications for a Postdoctoral Researcher to work on a CREST research project titled “Integration of measurement technologies and informatics based on Bayesian inference and sparse modeling (FY2020-FY2022, Co-Principal Investigator: Tatsu Kuwatani)“ under a research area “Development and application of intelligent measurement-analysis methods through coalition between measurement technologies and informatics”, supported by the Japan Science and Technology Agency (JST).
The purpose of this contract research is to develop a mathematical-scientific methodology that extracts the essential physical and chemical processes behind observation and measurement datasets and solve various actual problems in various fields of the material sciences. Thus, we are seeking a postdoctoral researcher who will engage in the following proposed tasks related to the development and application of such data-driven analytical methods and carry out research independently. Challenging research is encouraged through active collaboration with researchers from different fields.
1) Development and application of image data analysis for the earth and material sciences based on Bayesian inference
2) Development and application of geochemical data analysis based on sparse modeling
3) Development of new material-scientific data analysis based on deep learning
4) Writing research reports and peer-reviewed papers
[Relevant Research Fields]
Earth and environmental sciences including geology, petrology, geophysics and geochemistry, mathematical and information sciences
Postdoctoral Researcher: To contribute to the project, a Postdoctoral Researcher should be able to independently conduct the research subject which is authorized by the Project under direction of a leader, and to be appointed to improve his/her research qualities.
*There may be a change in affiliation in the event of reorganization of the Agency.
Japan Agency for Marine-Earth Science and Technology (JAMSTEC)
Yokosuka Headquarters, 2-15 Natsushima-cho, Yokosuka city,
Kanagawa, 237-0061, JAPAN
Working Conditions & Contract Period
(1) Number of positions:
1 position for a Postdoctoral Researcher
(2) Type of contract:
(3) Working Hours:
Discretionary labor system
(4) Contract Period:
Total period will be terminated on March 31, 2023 after two contract renewals. *First contract period is from October 1, 2020 to March 31, 2021. *Start date is negotiable. However it might be changed due to the influence of COVID-19 expansion. *Contract period can be renewed depending on the performance and working attitude of the successful applicant. *Contract period might change due to budget constraints of the project. *In accordance with JAMSTEC bylaws, on reaching the age of 65 during an employed fiscal year, the contract period will expire at the end of the same fiscal year. This bylaw may change. *This position is a non-tenure-track, fixed-term employee position.
Terms of Employment
(1) Upon appointment, the successful applicant will receive relocation allowances in accordance with JAMSTEC bylaws.
(2) Allowance for commuting expenses will be provided.
(3) Employee and JAMSTEC will share the premiums for social insurance and labor insurance in the proportion specified by current statute.
(4) JAMSTEC employee cooperative provides various subsidies for mutual aid and welfare services.
(5) Housing lease service is not available.
(6) Holidays and vacations: Saturdays, Sundays, public holidays, year-end, and New Year’s holidays. Annual vacations with pay, special vacations, leave of absence to care for a family member, and maternity leave are provided.
(1) Submitted documents will be managed safely according to strict rules. Personal information received during the recruiting process will be used only for recruitment screening and appointment procedures and not for any other purposes.
(2) Successful applicant should submit a certificate documenting his/her health upon appointment.
(3) Please kindly inform us in case of withdrawal of your application by E-mail.
(4) Above conditions may be changed at the discretion of the agency.
(5) For non-Japanese speakers, the interview and daily work will be conducted in English.
Diversity and Inclusion
In our quest to perform state-of-the-art research and develop scientific and technological innovations based on diverse values, JAMSTEC not only actively recruits women based on gender equality but also strives to create a work environment in which individuality is respected regardless of nationality, race, gender, self-recognition, age, or the presence or absence of disabilities.
In response to the diverse needs of our employees, we will also promote more flexible work styles and environments, including shorter working hours and opportunities for discretionary work.
(1) Required documents *Please ensure that you submit all required documents and that all documents are fully completed.
a) CV. Valid E-mail and home address must be provided.
*Please include contact information for one reference who is a senior research scientist; he/she should not be an employee or a Visiting Scientist of JAMSTEC.
The reference person will be required to submit a letter of recommendation for the selected applicant directly to JAMSTEC, by E-mail, after screening of documents.
b) Summary of your research (1 page)
c) Research plan for the project (1 page)
d) Publication (achievement) list including thesis titles. *Please list publications in refereed (peer-reviewed) journals separately from unrefereed publications. *Include DOI codes if available.
e) List of competitive research funds awarded to the applicant. *If you have not been awarded any, include “none” in the list.
f) Two (or fewer) representative publications in PDF formats.
The required documents must be sent by E-mail and should reach JAMSTEC on or before the closing date. *All files must be converted to PDF format. E-mail attachments can be up to 25 MB. Please include “VERC CGP20-007” in the subject line.
(3) Interview and appointment
Applicants will be selected based on submitted application material, followed by an interview. *Web-based online interviews by Zoom are expected basically due to the influence of COVID-19 expansion.
August 7, 2020 at 13:00 in Japan time (The application documents must arrive at JAMSTEC by this date.)
Human Resources Section, Human Resources Dept., JAMSTEC
(E-mail: recruit-app[at]jamstec.go.jp) *Please replace [at] with @ when addressing E-mails. *For inquiries by E-mail, please include “VERC CGP20-007” in the subject line.