Researcher in Institute for Extra-cutting-edge Science and Technology Avant-garde Research (X-star)
Japan Agency for Marine-Earth Science and Technology (JAMSTEC)
Japan Agency for Marine-Earth Science and Technology (JAMSTEC) has the main objective to contribute to the advancement of academic research in addition to the improvement of marine science and technology by proceeding the fundamental research and development on marine, and the cooperative activities on the academic research related to the Ocean for the benefit of the peace and human welfare.
Super-cutting-edge Grand and Advanced Research (SUGAR) Program, Institute for Extra-cutting-edge Science and Technology Avant-garde Research (X-star)
We are seeking a Project Researcher to conduct research project on the Moonshot Research and Development Program titled “Research and development of marine biodegradable plastics with degradation initiation switch function (FY2020 – February 28, 2023, Principal Investigator at JAMSTEC: Hidetaka Nomaki)” funded by New Energy and Industrial Technology Development Organization.
The purpose of this research contract is to develop polysaccaride-based materials that are biodegradable under certain marine environments, through a series of degradation experiments in the laboratory and in situ.
The successful applicant will work on one of following topics for the development of novel biodegradable polysaccaride-based materials, with a close collaboration with researchers in different fields including material science, marine chemistry, marine biology, microbiology, and bioinformatics.
1) Development of novel polysaccaride-based materials and incorporation of degradation-initiation functions to the materials by compositing with different polymers and/or chemical modification.
2) Characterization of the functional properties of proteins in eukaryotic/prokaryotic microbes that contribute to the biodegradation of polysaccarides.
3) Identification of (trace) elements adsorbed onto the polysaccaride-based materials and their roles in biodegradability in marine environments.
The successful applicant will also work on the following tasks in addition to the one of the above mentioned topic.
4) In situ experiments and samplings to test biodegradation of developed materials in the ocean.
5) Preparation of research reports and publication of research papers.
[Relevant Research Fields]
Material science, Applied microbiology, Biochemistry, Marine biology, Microbial engineering
Job Type [Job Title]
· Researcher (Science) is expected primarily to perform theoretical work, observations, and experiments related to research and development, through fundamental, original, or advanced research to conduct fundamental, originative, or advanced research based on theories, observations, and experiments.
· Researcher (Technology) is expected to conduct fundamental, originative, or advanced technology development and related research.
Project Researcher (Ⅱ):
Project Researcher (Ⅱ) is expected independently to conduct research and technology development and to share results through scientific publications and achieve technology innovation to contribute to the project.
*There may be a change in affiliation in the case of reorganization of the Agency.
*At the time of appointment, the Job Title (Science/Technology) will be determined in accordance with JAMSTEC bylaws.
Requirements The successful applicant must have completed a Ph.D. in a closely related field of research or technology development.
Japan Agency for Marine-Earth Science and Technology (JAMSTEC)
Yokosuka Headquarters, 2-15 Natsushima-cho, Yokosuka city,
Kanagawa, 237-0061, JAPAN
Working Conditions & Contract Period
(1) Number of positions:
1 position as Project Researcher (Ⅱ)
(2) Type of contract:
(3) Working Hours:
Discretionary labor system
(4) Contract Period:
The total period will be terminated on February 28, 2023 after a contract renewal. *First contract period is from April 1, 2021 to March 31, 2022. *Start date is negotiable. However it might be changed due to the influence of COVID-19 expansion. *Contract period can be renewed depending on the performance and working attitude of the successful applicant. *Contract period might change due to budget constraints of the project. *The term of this project is until February 28, 2023, but depending on the results of a mid-term evaluation in FY2022, it may be continued until February 28, 2025. Therefore, only if this project is extended, the contract period may be renewed until February 28, 2025. *In accordance with JAMSTEC bylaws, on reaching the age of 65 during an employed fiscal year, the contract period will expire at the end of the same fiscal year. This bylaw may change. *This position is a non-tenure-track, fixed-term employee position.
Terms of Employment
(1) Upon appointment, the successful applicant will receive relocation allowances in accordance with JAMSTEC bylaws.
(2) Allowance for commuting expenses will be provided.
(3) Employee and JAMSTEC will share the premiums for social insurance and labor insurance in the proportion specified by current statute.
(4) JAMSTEC employee cooperative provides various subsidies for mutual aid and welfare services.
(5) Housing lease service will be available.
(6) Holidays and vacations: Saturdays, Sundays, public holidays, year-end, and New Year’s holidays. Annual vacations with pay, special vacations, leave of absence to care for a family member, and maternity leave are provided.
(1) Submitted documents will be managed safely according to strict rules. Personal information received during the recruiting process will be used only for recruitment screening and appointment procedures and not for any other purposes.
(2) Successful applicant should submit a certificate documenting his/her health upon appointment.
(3) Please kindly inform us in case of withdrawal of your application by E-mail.
(4) Above conditions may be changed at the discretion of the agency.
(5) For non-Japanese speakers, the interview and daily work will be conducted in English.
Diversity and Inclusion
In our quest to perform state-of-the-art research and develop scientific and technological innovations based on diverse values, JAMSTEC not only actively recruits women based on gender equality but also strives to create a work environment in which individuality is respected regardless of nationality, race, gender, self-recognition, age, or the presence or absence of disabilities.
In response to the diverse needs of our employees, we will also promote more flexible work styles and environments, including shorter working hours and opportunities for discretionary work.
(1) Required documents *Please ensure that you submit all required documents and that all documents are fully completed.
a) CV. Valid E-mail and home address must be provided.
b) Summary of your research (1 page)
c) Research plan for the project (1 page)
d) Publication (achievement) list including thesis titles. *Please list publications in refereed (peer-reviewed) journals separately from unrefereed publications. *Include DOI codes if available.
e) List of competitive research funds awarded to the applicant. *If you have not been awarded any, include “none” in the list.
f) Two (or fewer) representative publications in PDF formats.
g) Two letters of recommendation from two senior research researchers (1 letter from each). The person providing the recommendation should email to JAMSTEC directly with a signed letter as an attached file in PDF format. Please include “SUGAR-MS EGS20-016 and the applicant’s name” in the subject line. A letter of recommendation written by a JAMSTEC employee or a JAMSTEC visiting researcher will not be accepted.
The required documents must be sent by E-mail and should reach JAMSTEC on or before the closing date. *All files must be converted to PDF format. E-mail attachments can be up to 25 MB. Please include “SUGAR-MS EGS20-016” in the subject line.
(3) Interview and appointment
Applicants will be selected based on submitted application material, followed by an interview. *Web-based online interviews by Zoom are expected basically due to the influence of COVID-19 expansion.
February 12, 2021 at 13:00 in Japan time (The application documents must arrive at JAMSTEC by this date.)
Contact (application documents must be sent to this address)
Human Resources Section, Human Resources Dept., JAMSTEC
(E-mail: recruit-app[at]jamstec.go.jp) *Please replace [at] with @ when addressing E-mails. *For inquiries by E-mail, please include “SUGAR-MS EGS20-016” in the subject line.