Researcher in Institute for Extra-cutting-edge Science and Technology Avant-garde Research (X-star)
Japan Agency for Marine-Earth Science and Technology (JAMSTEC)
Japan Agency for Marine-Earth Science and Technology (JAMSTEC) has the main objective to contribute to the advancement of academic research in addition to the improvement of marine science and technology by proceeding the fundamental research and development on marine, and the cooperative activities on the academic research related to the Ocean for the benefit of the peace and human welfare.
Geomicrobiology Research Group, Isotope Geochemistry Research Group, or Rock Mechanics Research Group, Kochi Institute for Core Sample Research (KOCHI), Institute for Extra-cutting-edge Science and Technology Avant-garde Research (X-star)
The Kochi Institute for Core Sample Research (KOCHI) (Director: Tsuyoshi Ishikawa), Institute for Extra-cutting-edge Science and Technology Avant-garde Research (X-star) is accepting applications for two tenure-track researchers.
KOCHI pursues creative research and technology development for basic and integrated geosciences, using geological materials such as marine core samples. We are seeking full-time tenure-track researchers who will lead such investigations. The successful applicant can pursue his/her own research, which may lead to the creation of a future knowledge leap and disruptive innovation.
The successful applicant will be expected to contribute to one of the following research areas:
(1) Research on exploration of unseen deep and dark microbial ecosystems and the elucidation of their diversity and function
(2) Material-based research on life and earth sciences with interdisciplinary approaches using geochemistry, rock physical properties, or advanced technology development.
The affiliation (Geomicrobiology Research Group, Isotope Geochemistry Research Group, or Rock Mechanics Research Group) will be decided based on the research background and compatibility.
[Relevant Research Fields]
Microbiology, Marine biology, Geochemistry, Paleoceanography, Geology, Earth Science, Life Science
Kochi Institute for Core Sample Research (KOCHI)
※Researcher (Science) is expected primarily to perform theoretical work, observations, and experiments related to research and development, through fundamental, original, or advanced research to conduct fundamental, originative, or advanced research based on theories, observations, and experiments.
※Researcher (Technology) is expected to conduct fundamental, originative, or advanced technology development and related research.
Researcher (Ⅱ) is expected independently to conduct research and technology development and to share results through scientific publications and achieve technology innovation.
*There may be a change in affiliation in the case of reorganization of the Agency. *At the time of appointment, the Job Title (Science/Technology) will be determined in accordance with JAMSTEC bylaws.
Japan Agency for Marine-Earth Science and Technology (JAMSTEC)
Kochi Institute for Core Sample Research (KOCHI),
200 Monobe Otsu, Nankoku, Kochi, 783-8502, JAPAN
Working Conditions & Contract Period
(1) Number of positions:
2 positions for Researchers (Ⅱ)
(2) Type of contract:
Tenure-track fixed-term employee
(3) Working Hours:
Discretionary labor system
(4) Contract Period:
Period of employment is from September 1, 2021 to March 31, 2026
*Effective date of employment is negotiable. However, it might be changed due to the influence of COVID-19 expansion. *One contract period is a maximum of five fiscal years. The contract period will not be renewed. *In accordance with JAMSTEC bylaws, on reaching the age of 65 during an employed fiscal year, the contract period will expire at the end of the same fiscal year. This bylaw may change. *After undergoing an evaluation during the period of employment, the contract may be modified to one without termination (termination of employment would be at the end of the fiscal year in which the employee reaches the age of 60, or the age of 65 if the employee is rehired after his/her retirement). For details on this system, please contact Human Resources Section.
Terms of Employment
(1) Upon appointment, the successful applicant will receive relocation allowances in accordance with JAMSTEC bylaws.
(2) Allowance for commuting expenses will be provided.
(3) Employee and JAMSTEC will share the premiums for social insurance and labor insurance in the proportion specified by current statute.
(4) JAMSTEC employee cooperative provides various subsidies for mutual aid and welfare services.
(5) Housing lease service will be available in accordance with JAMSTEC bylaws.
(6) Holidays and vacations: Saturdays, Sundays, public holidays, year-end, and New Year’s holidays. Annual vacations with pay, special vacations, leave of absence to care for a family member, and maternity leave are provided.
(1) Submitted documents will be managed safely according to strict rules. Personal information received during the recruiting process will be used only for recruitment screening and appointment procedures and not for any other purposes.
(2) Successful applicant should submit a certificate documenting his/her health upon appointment.
(3) Please kindly inform us in case of withdrawal of your application by E-mail.
(4) Above conditions may be changed at the discretion of the agency.
(5) For non-Japanese speakers, the interview and daily work will be conducted in English.
Diversity and Inclusion
In our quest to perform state-of-the-art research and develop scientific and technological innovations based on diverse values, JAMSTEC not only actively recruits women based on gender equality but also strives to create a work environment in which individuality is respected regardless of nationality, race, gender, self-recognition, age, or the presence or absence of disabilities.
In response to the diverse needs of our employees, we will also promote more flexible work styles and environments, including shorter working hours and opportunities for discretionary work.
(1) Required documents *Please ensure that you submit all required documents and that all documents are fully completed.
a) CV. Valid email and home address must be provided.
*Please include contact information for two references.
*The person listed as a reference should be different from the person who wrote the letter of recommendation and should not be an employee or Visiting Researcher of JAMSTEC.
b) Summary of your research (1 page)
c) Research plan at JAMSTEC (1 page)
d) Publication (achievement) list including thesis titles *Please list publications in refereed (peer-reviewed) journals separately from unrefereed publications. *Include DOI codes if available.
e) List of competitive research funds awarded to the applicant *If you have not been awarded any, include “none” in the list.
f) Two (or fewer) representative publications in PDF formats.
g) Two letters of recommendation from two senior research scientists (1 letter from each). The person providing the recommendation should email to JAMSTEC directly with a signed letter as an attached file in PDF format. Please include “KOCHI EKS21-002 and the applicant’s name” in the subject line. A letter of recommendation written by a JAMSTEC employee or a JAMSTEC visiting scientist will not be accepted.
The required documents must be sent by E-mail and should reach JAMSTEC on or before the closing date. *All files must be converted to PDF format. E-mail attachments can be up to 25 MB. Please include “KOCHI EKS21-002” in the subject line.
(3) Interview and appointment
Applicants will be selected based on submitted application material, followed by an interview. *Web-based online interviews by Zoom are expected basically due to the influence of COVID-19 expansion.
June 25, 2021 at 13:00 in Japan time (The application documents must arrive at JAMSTEC by this date.)
Contact (application documents must be sent to this address)
Human Resources Section, Human Resources Dept., JAMSTEC
(E-mail: recruit-app[at]jamstec.go.jp) *Please replace [at] with @ when addressing E-mails. *For inquiries by E-mail, please include “KOCHI EKS21-002” in the subject line.