Artificial Intelligence Post-doctoral Researcher in Earth Sciences (R2)
Barcelona Supercomputing Center - Centro Nacional de Supercomputación
Barcelona Supercomputing Center-Centro Nacional de Supercomputación (BSC-CNS) is the national supercomputing centre in Spain. We specialise in high performance computing (HPC) and manage MareNostrum, one of the most powerful supercomputers in Europe, located in the Torre Girona chapel.
BSC is at the service of the international scientific community and of industry that requires HPC resources. Our multidisciplinary research team and our computational facilities –including MareNostrum– make BSC an international centre of excellence in e-Science.
Since its establishment in 2005, BSC has developed an active role in fostering HPC in Spain and Europe as an essential tool for international competitiveness in science and engineering. The centre manages the Red Española de Supercomputación (RES), and is a hosting member of the Partnership for Advanced Computing in Europe (PRACE) initiative. We actively participate in the main European HPC initiatives, in close cooperation with other European supercomputing centres.
With a total staff of more than 725 R&D experts and professionals, BSC has been successful in attracting talent, and our research focuses on four fields: Computer Sciences, Life Sciences, Earth Sciences and Computer Applications in Science and Engineering. Our research lines are developed within the framework of European Union research funding programmes, Spanish and Catalan public research calls and collaborations with leading companies
Climate: Past, Present & Future (CL)
Context And Mission
Within the Earth Sciences Department of Barcelona Supercomputing Center, led by Prof Francisco Doblas-Reyes, the Computational Earth Sciences group has an immediate opening for a creative and resourceful postdoc candidate with strong artificial intelligence and computational science skills willing to apply these methods to Earth Sciences. The successful candidate will develop novel computational approaches based on AI techniques, and apply them to Earth Sciences with the objective to open and consolidate a new research line inside the group.
The candidate will interact with climate and atmospheric scientists from the Earth Sciences department and with computer scientists from the High-Performance Artificial Intelligence (HPAI) research group as part of the Computer Science department. The Researcher will work in a highly sophisticated HPC environment, will have access to state-of-the-art systems and computational infrastructures, and will establish collaborations with experts in different areas both at the local and international levels.
The term of the appointment is one year, with the option to extend to a second year depending on the performance and funding availability.
- Apply AI techniques to Earth Sciences (climate and/or atmospheric composition).
- Test and evaluate the performance of novel AI architectures and AI tools.
- Publish in peer-review literature.
- PhD in computer science, telecommunications, mathematics or a related discipline
Essential Knowledge and Professional Experience
- Understanding and knowledge of AI techniques
Additional Knowledge and Professional Experience
- A first demonstrated experience in application and development of AI methods
- Experience in packages such as Keras and TensorFlow and related packages
- Previous experience in HPC architecture and parallel programming, including GPU (highly valued)
- Good programming skills to manage big and collaborative projects and experience with git
- Experience and knowledge in Earth Sciences, Numerical Methods or Computational Dynamic Fluids will be highly valued
- Capacity to interact and build strong relations with both climate, atmospheric and computer scientists
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to take initiatives, prioritize the tasks and work under set deadlines
- Ability to work both independently and within a team
- Fluency in English, both speaking and writing
To apply, please follow this link: https://www.bsc.es/join-us/job-opportunities/19921escesr2