Tenure-Track position in Hydrometeorology and Cloud Physics
Institute of Meteorology and Climatology. University of Natural Resources and Life Sciences Vienna
The Department of Water, Atmosphere and Environment, Institute of Meteorology and Climatology is located at the University of Natural Resources and Life Sciences Vienna. Gregor-Mendel-Straße 33, Vienna, 1180, Austria
Geosciences Instrumentation and Data Systems (GI)
Hydrological Sciences (HS)
The Department of Water, Atmosphere and Environment, Institute of Meteorology and Climatology wishes to fill a career position in compliance with § 99 (5) UG (tenure-track) in the field of Meteorology and Climatology with a focus on Hydrometeorology and Cloud Physics.
Working time: 40 hours a week
Term of the employment relationship: 1st of January 2022, limited to a period of 6 years
Allocation in compliance with the Collective Agreement for University Staff to job group: B1 lit. b. Gross monthly salary (depending on previous eligible experience) at least: € 3,945.90 (14 x a year, in addition we also offer an attractive career development programme and an extensive range of social benefits)
§99 (5) positions offer academics with high potential and the relevant achievements the opportunity of an academic carrier ranging from a postdoc position to that of assistant professor and on to associated professor. The position of associated professor can be achieved at the latest six years after the appointment. §99 (5) positions are aimed at academics with a doctorate/PhD degree, with high potential. Experience at other universities or research institutes abroad is expressly welcome.
Tasks and focus areas
- Research in the field of meteorology and climatology with a focus on hydrometeorology and cloud physics
- Perform process studies for cloud formation and precipitation
- Perform observations with ground-based remote sensing (weather and cloud radar systems) and in-situ instruments
- Model cloud micro-physical processes
- Model precipitation events at different scales and validate model output with observations
- Establish the research field and cooperate broadly in the institute
- Cooperate with other relevant institutes in the Department of Water, Atmosphere and Environment and other departments at BOKU
- Teaching and supervision or co-supervision of final papers within the scope of legal possibilities
- Transfer of knowledge and the promotion of junior researchers in line with the social responsibility of the University of Natural Resources and Life Sciences
- Assumption of administrative tasks within the framework of university self-administration
- Acquisition and management of competitively funded national and international research projects
- Publish and present accomplished research results
- Represent the field of expertise at the national and international levels
- Completed doctorate in a relevant field
- Sound professional experience in the scientific field as a postdoc
- Excellent publication achievements as well as international orientation and recognition
- Willingness and ability to lead your own research team incl. the necessary funding this requires (third-party funding)
- Enthusiasm for outstanding teaching
- Interest in interdisciplinary research and teaching
- Excellent knowledge of German and English, both written and spoken or willingness to learn German within the first two years
Other desired qualifications
- Experience abroad as well as in teaching and leadership at universities and research institutions
- Diploma or M.Sc. studies in meteorology or a related discipline
- Experience in meteorological measurement techniques
- Experience in meteorological modeling, particularly related to the improvement of micro-physical parametrizations
- Good knowledge of statistics
- Good programming skills
- Experience in the acquisition, management and implementation of research projects
- High motivation, ability to work in a team, independence
University of Natural Resources and Life Sciences Vienna seeks to increase the number of its female faculty and staff members. Therefore qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply. In case of equal qualification, female candidates will be given preference unless reasons specific to an individual male candidate tilt the balance in his favour.
People with disabilities and appropriate qualifications are specifically encouraged to apply.
Please submit your application in English incl.
- Curriculum vitae with detailed presentation of professional, teaching and research activities
- List of all publications (refereed & non-refereed), lectures and projects
- Electronic transmission of the PDF files of five own publications which you consider to be particularly important
- Rough concept for future plans in research and teaching including your contribution to the scientific profile of the Department
- Teaching portfolio including evaluation results
- Brief explanation why you think you should be particularly suitable for this position (max. 1 page)
- Contact details of 3 professionals willing to provide a letter of reference
and indicating the reference code 117 to firstname.lastname@example.org until 7th of July 2021.
Applicants are not entitled to reimbursement of travel and accommodation costs incurred as a result of the selection procedure.