Scientific Editor (One Earth)
Cell Press (Elsevier)
Cell Press, which is part of Elsevier, is a dynamic, interactive, diverse, and creative scientific community located in the heart of Cambridge, MA, and with further offices in the UK, the Netherlands, and China. With 100+ PhD scientists, a forward-looking and experienced editorial support and digital production team, a results-driven marketing and press office, and a vibrant commercial partnership group, Cell Press aims to facilitate effective scientific exchange and is a leader in communicating the most important scientific findings.
Cell Press publishes over 50 scientific journals across the life, physical, earth, and health sciences, both independently and in partnership with scientific societies. Our story began in 1974 with the journal Cell and a commitment to publishing exciting biology. Today, we are bringing our editorial excellence, commitment to innovation, unparalleled reach and visibility, and passion for advocacy to all areas of scientific exploration as we work to publish and share science that inspires.
Elsevier, is an equal opportunity employer: qualified applicants are considered for and treated during employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, sex, national origin, citizenship status, disability status, protected veteran status, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law. If a qualified individual with a disability or disabled veteran needs a reasonable accommodation to use or access our online system, that individual should please contact 1.877.734.1938 or email@example.com.
Energy, Resources and the Environment (ERE)
Hydrological Sciences (HS)
Are you passionate about research to ensure a sustainable Earth? If so, we may have the perfect job for you.
We are looking to recruit an Assistant Scientific Editor to join the One Earth in-house editorial team (we are open to considering strong candidates at a more senior level should they have the requisite editorial experience). One Earth is an exciting new Cell Press journal dedicated to publishing significant research and expert opinions from across the natural, social and applied sciences in the context of environmental grand challenges. This includes research into the rates and scale of environmental change, the management of resources in a finite world, and transformative solutions to ensure societal and environmental well-being.
Successful candidates will be involved in all editorial aspects of the journal and work closely with the Editor-in-Chief and other editorial team members. Responsibilities will include:
- Evaluating submitted papers against One Earth’s demanding criteria for reporting influential research
- Commissioning a diverse variety of insightful review- and commentary-type content and curating monthly issues around themes of socio-environmental importance
- Developing strong global networks with the academic and non-academic sustainability and environmental change community
Contributing to and implementing journal strategies that ensure One Earth continues to support the needs of the burgeoning inter- and transdisciplinary research and policy communities, bridging the gap between science and society.
Some of the key attributes that we are looking for in the ideal candidate are:
- Interdisciplinary expertise with a Ph.D. in an area related to climate change, including impacts, adaptation, and mitigation scenarios. Additional expertise in water security and/or water quality would be beneficial
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Broad scientific interest in science and publishing
- Critical thinking and the willingness to learn and absorb new areas of research
The ability to successfully work independently and in diverse teams
This is a full-time in-house editorial position. Cell Press offers an attractive salary and benefits package and a stimulating working environment. Applications will be held in the strictest confidence and will be considered on a rolling basis until November 1st 2021. To apply, please submit:
- A resume and a cover letter explaining your interest in the position.
- A selection of 6-8 recently published articles that you feel capture the broad range of environmental grand challenge research (provide the full reference and link to the article and give a brief rationale for your choice).
- A brief discussion (<500 words) on what you consider to be the most pressing environmental grand challenge currently facing society
To Apply: search ‘One Earth’ via https://relx.wd3.myworkdayjobs.com/relx
To Apply search ‘One Earth via https://relx.wd3.myworkdayjobs.com/relx