Postdoctoral Researcher in Research Institute for Marine Geodynamics
Japan Agency for Marine-Earth Science and Technology (JAMSTEC)
Japan Agency for Marine-Earth Science and Technology (JAMSTEC) has the main objective to contribute to the advancement of academic research in addition to the improvement of marine science and technology by proceeding the fundamental research and development on marine, and the cooperative activities on the academic research related to the Ocean for the benefit of the peace and human welfare.
Earthquake Forecasting Research Group, Research and Development Center for Earthquake and Tsunami Forecasting (FEAT), Research Institute for Marine Geodynamics (IMG)
We are soliciting applications for a Postdoctoral Researcher position for a research project titled “The development of analysis for monitoring current state and forecasting future process of subduction plates by using observational data and modeling of seismic activity and crustal deformation (FY2019-2025 PI: Takane Hori)”
This research will establish methods for monitoring and forecasting fault locking and sliding processes at subduction zone plate boundaries based on terrestrial and seafloor seismological and crustal deformation data. We will also develop technologies to improve the accuracy of seafloor crustal deformation observations.
The mid- and long-term planning goals of the Earthquake Forecasting Group, R&D Center for Earthquake and Tsunami Forecasting are encapsulated in the project “The development of an analysis technique for monitoring and forecasting plate subduction processes using observational data and seismic activity and crustal deformation modeling”.
The successful applicant will develop data analysis methods to quantify spatiotemporal variation in interplate locking near subduction zones, based on terrestrial and seafloor seismological and crustal deformation data using a high-resolution three-dimensional structure model.
The successful applicant may also conduct onboard surveys to acquire seafloor geodetic observation data and perform analyses of the data acquired.
[Relevant Research Fields]
Geodesy, Seismology, Geophysics, and related fields.
Postdoctoral Researcher: To contribute to the project, a Postdoctoral Researcher should be able to independently conduct the research subject which is authorized by the Project under direction of a leader, and to be appointed to improve his/her research qualities. *There may be a change in affiliation in the event of reorganization of the Agency.
Japan Agency for Marine-Earth Science and Technology (JAMSTEC)
Yokohama Institute for Earth Sciences (YES),
3173-25 Showa-machi, Kanazawa-ku, Yokohama-city,
Kanagawa, 236-0001, JAPAN
Working Conditions & Contract Period
(1) Number of positions:
1 position for a Postdoctoral Researcher
(2) Type of contract:
(3) Working Hours:
Discretionary labor system
(4) Contract Period:
Total period will be terminated on March 31, 2025 after two contract renewals. *First contract period is from April 1, 2022 to March 31, 2023. *Effective date of employment is negotiable. However it might be changed due to the influence of COVID-19 expansion. *Contract period can be renewed depending on the performance and working attitude of the successful applicant. *Contract period might change due to budget constraints of the project. *In accordance with JAMSTEC bylaws, on reaching the age of 65 during an employed fiscal year, the contract period will expire at the end of the same fiscal year. This bylaw may change. *This position is a non-tenure-track, fixed-term employee position.
Terms of Employment
(1) Upon appointment, the successful applicant will receive relocation allowances in accordance with JAMSTEC bylaws.
(2) Allowance for commuting expenses will be provided.
(3) Employee and JAMSTEC will share the premiums for social insurance and labor insurance in the proportion specified by current statute.
(4) JAMSTEC employee cooperative provides various subsidies for mutual aid and welfare services.
(5) Housing lease service is not available.
(6) Holidays and vacations: Saturdays, Sundays, public holidays, year-end, and New Year’s holidays. Annual vacations with pay, special vacations, leave of absence to care for a family member, and maternity leave are provided.
(1) Submitted documents will be managed safely according to strict rules. Personal information received during the recruiting process will be used only for recruitment screening and appointment procedures and not for any other purposes.
(2) Successful applicant should submit a certificate documenting his/her health upon appointment.
(3) Please kindly inform us in case of withdrawal of your application by Email.
(4) Above conditions may be changed at the discretion of the agency.
(5) For non-Japanese speakers, the interview and daily work will be conducted in English.
(6) If you are applying through a Japanese website, submission should be made online (except the letters of recommendation); If you are applying through the English website, “Work with Us”, submission should be made as an attachment to the Email.
Diversity and Inclusion
In our quest to perform state-of-the-art research and develop scientific and technological innovations based on diverse values, JAMSTEC not only actively recruits women based on gender equality but also strives to create a work environment in which individuality is respected regardless of nationality, race, gender, self-recognition, age, or the presence or absence of disabilities.
In response to the diverse needs of our employees, we will also promote more flexible work styles and environments, including shorter working hours and opportunities for discretionary work.
(1) Required documents *Please ensure that you submit all required documents and that all documents are fully completed.
a) CV. Valid Email and home address must be provided.
*Please include contact information for one reference who is a senior research scientist.
The reference person will be required to submit a letter of recommendation for the selected applicant directly to JAMSTEC, by Email, after screening of documents. The reference person should not be an employee or a Visiting Researcher of JAMSTEC.
b) Summary of your research (1 page)
c) Research plan for the project (1 page)
d) “Publication (achievement) list” including thesis titles and “list of competitive research funds” awarded to the applicant *Please list publications in refereed (peer-reviewed) journals separately from unrefereed publications. *Include DOI codes if available. *If you have not been awarded any, include “none” in the list.
e) Two (or fewer) representative publications in PDF formats.
The required documents must be sent by Email and should reach JAMSTEC on or before the closing date. *All files must be converted to PDF format. Email attachments can be up to 25 MB. Please include “FEAT CGP21-006” in the subject line.
(3) Interview and appointment
Applicants will be selected based on submitted application material, followed by an interview. *Web-based online interviews by Zoom are expected basically.
December 20, 2021 at 13:00 in Japan time (The application documents must arrive at JAMSTEC by this date.) *Depending on the situation of applications, the closing date may be extended.
Contact (application documents must be sent to this address)
Human Resources Section, Human Resources Dept., JAMSTEC
(Email: recruit-app[at]jamstec.go.jp) *Please replace [at] with @ when addressing Emails. *For inquiries by Email, please include “FEAT CGP21-006” in the subject line.