Scientific Collaborator to improve the ICON model for high-resolution forecasts in the Alpine region
ETH Zurich is one of the world’s leading universities specialising in science and technology. It is renowned for its excellent education, its cutting-edge fundamental research, and its efforts to put new knowledge and innovations into practice.
The Center for Climate Systems Modeling (C2SM) at ETH and the Federal Institute of Meteorology and Climatology MeteoSwiss jointly run the weather and climate model ICON and analyse the resulting data. We are seeking a Scientific Collaborator to improve the forecasts based on the ICON model at very high resolution (80-100%).
As a scientific collaborator, you contribute to the improvement of the Numerical Weather Prediction (NWP) forecasts based on ICON. Your main responsibility will be the improvement of the existing forecasting system at 1000 m grid spacing for operational weather forecasting as well as of the experimental forecasts at 500 m grid spacing. Additionally, you will also work on case studies related to Intensive Observation Periods of the international research collaboration TEAMx.
- Tackle model-related tasks in the framework of the MeteoSwiss project ICON-22, which aims to have a pre-operational ICON-systems running in Q3 of 2023.
- Develop a 500 m ICON configuration envisaged for forecasting support of the TEAMx Observational Campaign as well as for the GLORI Alpine Twin project.
- Run and analyse case studies related to TEAMx IOPs, with special emphasis on thunderstorms / heavy precipitation and fog / cold air pools.
- Publish the work in peer-reviewed journal articles.
- You have an MSc in natural sciences or a related field and a PhD in atmospheric science, or equivalent experience.
- You have proven expertise in numerical weather prediction, and ideally some working experience with the ICON or COSMO model.
- You have advanced programming skills in at least one programming or scripting language, preferably in Fortran and Python.
- You are an open-minded personality with an ability to learn new skills rapidly. You have the ability to analyse and visualise scientific data and to solve complex problems. You have a collaborative attitude and enjoy working in a small team.
At C2SM and MeteoSwiss, we are committed to promoting flexible and family-friendly working models, and a healthy work-life balance is important to us. The position offers interesting and challenging tasks. You will have the opportunity to work with a cutting-edge operational weather prediction system within a highly motivated team. Your work will directly impact the future operational weather forecasts for Switzerland and bring value to weather related decisions in all sectors.
The position is limited to 3 years. It is available immediately and will remain open until filled. The place of work is at MeteoSwiss at Zurich-Airport. Applications including a letter of interest, a CV, and the names and contact information of 2-3 references will be given full consideration. Please note that we exclusively accept applications submitted through our online application portal. Further information on this position can be obtained from Dr. Marco Arpagaus (email@example.com; no applications). For further information on C2SM and the collaboration between ETH and MeteoSwiss, please contact the executive director of C2SM, Dr. Christina Schnadt Poberaj (firstname.lastname@example.org).
In line with our values, ETH Zurich encourages an inclusive culture. We promote equality of opportunity, value diversity and nurture a working and learning environment in which the rights and dignity of all our staff and students are respected. Visit our Equal Opportunities and Diversity website to find out how we ensure a fair and open environment that allows everyone to grow and flourish.