EGU Committee on Education seeking new chair
23 February 2018
The Committee on Education, which coordinates the EGU activities related to secondary and tertiary education, is looking for a new committee chair.
One of the committee’s main activities is the organisation of GIFT (Geosciences Information for Teachers) workshops, held annually during the EGU General Assembly. These established and successful workshops aim to spread first-hand scientific information to science teachers of primary and secondary schools. In addition to the GIFT workshops held during the General Assembly, the EGU organises education workshops elsewhere, usually in connection with international scientific conferences.
Many of the EGU education activities are conducted in collaboration with the Outreach Committee. The EGU media and communications manager also works closely with the Committee on Education, especially through the coordination of Planet Press, geoscience press releases for children.
Further to the activities described above, the committee aims to promote tertiary education. The new chair will be tasked with helping in the development of such programmes as well.
Successful candidates will preferably have:
- a broad experience of Earth science secondary and tertiary education
- extended connections and close contacts on an international scale with research scientists in the geosciences field (both in the academic and industrial communities) linked to the activities of the Union (as exemplified by its different scientific divisions),
- a track record of developing innovative geoscience secondary education strategies
- provided teacher training and professional development for Earth science teachers
experience of working in committees
- international networking experience in geosciences
Candidates should send a one-page motivation letter to the Chair of the Committee on Education, Carlo Laj (email@example.com) and to the EGU Executive Secretary, Philippe Courtial (firstname.lastname@example.org) by 11 March.