EGU training schools offer early career scientists specialist training opportunities they do not normally have access to in their home institutions. This is done by assembling a group of expert teachers around a narrowly defined theme, technique or approach, in a location that is especially well set up to meet the specific training needs. Training schools can be positioned near emerging research opportunities, rapidly evolving fields, interdisciplinary approaches or highly specialised skills. They foster bonds between early career scientists and give them a chance to meet and discuss with current leaders of their field.
The EGU financial support must be used to facilitate the participation of early career scientists with limited funding through travel grants and/or to support the quality of the school by organising field trips or by inviting exceptional lecturers.
Applications for sponsorship of training schools can be submitted via the meeting support request form.
Recently co-sponsored training schools
Call for 2018
New application scheme for events in 2018 and onward: EGU has decided to run one call per year and to focus its financial support exclusively on training schools. In this call, the EGU received 27 proposals, 13 of which are being co-sponsored, corresponding to a total of 69000 EUR.
- ICTP Summer School on Theory, Mechanisms and Hierarchical Modelling of Climate Dynamics: Multiple Equilibria in the Climate System,
- Empirical and Ab Initio Thermodynamic Models of Minerals and Melts,
- Glaciers, Moraines and Climate: Challenges of Identifying, Dating and Extracting Palaeoclimatic Data from Former Glacier Fluctuations,
- Geoheritage Management: Conservation, Promotion and Monitoring,
- Summer School on Natural Hazards in the Anthropocene,
- Geoscience Communication School,
- Deformation Processes in the Lower Crust (Bohemian Massif, Austria).,
- Foraminiferal Biomonitoring (FaB) School,
- Young Seismologists Training Course: "Array Seismology",
- Training School on Flow and Transport in Porous and Fractured Media – Subsurface Processes In The Critical Zone: Observation, Experimentation and Modelling,
- SOLAS Summer School,
- 4th Snow Science Winter School (SSWS),
- International School of Space Science - The polar upper atmosphere: From science to operational issues,
Second call for 2017
In this call, the EGU received 49 proposals, 10 of which are being co-sponsored, corresponding to a total of 27000 EUR.
- TURBINTERMARS, International Conference on Turbulence and Interactions in Marine Systems,
- 15th International Workshop on Modelling of Mantle and Lithosphere Dynamics,
- 14 th International Planetary Probe Workshop (IPPW-14),
- Etna International Training School of Volcanic Gas Geochemistry, 2017,
- 4th EGU Summer School "STRUCTURAL ANALYSIS OF CRYSTALLINE ROCKS",
- Natural stone for cultural heritage: local resources with global impact,
- Integrated approaches to investigate the role of benthic organisms in soft and hard substrate in ecosystem functioning: from field observations and experiments to modeling and indicator development,
- Towards a Global Synthesis of Stable Isotope Records from Speleothems,
- Summer School on "Principles of catchment-scale hydrological modelling",
- Training school on stratosphere-troposphere interactions,