Equality, Diversity, and Inclusion Working Group
The EGU recognises the importance of equality, diversity, and inclusion as a crucial foundation for scientific research to address fundamental scientific questions and societally relevant environmental challenges. The increasing diversity of our membership in all its facets fosters collaborative research and discovery that benefits humanity and our planet.
Since its founding, the EGU has worked to ensure equitable treatment for everyone in our community with the goal of increasing our diversity at EGU events and on EGU committees and boards. The organisation is also working collaboratively with its sibling societies, including AGU, GSA, and JpGU, on issues of equality, diversity and inclusion.
In autumn 2018, the EGU Council established a working group whose aim is to promote and support equality, diversity, and inclusion in the Earth, planetary, and space sciences, with a focus on EGU activities. The group works closely with the EGU Council and Outreach Committee to implement activities that promote and demonstrate EGU’s commitment to equality, diversity and inclusion.
Read more about:
The EDI Working Group tasks currently include:
- Promoting the EGU vision of EDI via an integrated, coordinated and constructive approach
- Raising awareness of the value of EDI within the scientific community
- Organising sessions and meetings dedicated to EDI issues as part of the EGU General Assembly, and at other conferences and meetings organised by EGU and its sibling societies
- Representing EGU on relevant initiatives focusing on EDI in the geosciences
- Providing constructive suggestions and ideas to the EGU Council to promote EDI within the organisation, and the geosciences in general
The working group is composed of a chair, who serves a three-year term that may be renewed once, as well as representatives from within the EGU membership, its sibling associations, and the EGU office staff.
- Chair: Claudia Alves de Jesus-Rydin (email@example.com)
- Members: Andrea Popp, Anita Di Chiara, Anouk Beniest, Daniel Conley (Deputy Chair), Daniel Parsons, Elenora van Rijsingen, Giuliana Panieri, Helen M. Glaves, Holly J. Stein, Ira Didenkulova, Johanna Stadmark, Lisa Wingate (Deputy Chair) and Taru Sandén
- Representatives from sibling associations: Billy Williams (AGU), Vicki McConnell (GSA), Chiaki T. Oguchi (JpGU) and Rie Hori (JpGU)
If you require more information on the EGU Working Group on Equality, Diversity and Inclusion please contact: