Science for Policy Working Group
Almost every policy decision, regardless of the country or government level, has a scientific component to it. Geoscientists not only research some of Earth’s key resources and properties (such as oceans, atmosphere, rivers, soils, and mineral resources), but also assess the interactions between them and evaluate potential societal risks. The geoscience community therefore plays a key role in a number of different policy areas where their research can help policymakers to more accurately assess the benefits and potential consequences of different policy pathways.
The EGU’s Science for Policy Working Group aims to promote greater collaboration between the geoscientific community and policymakers, highlight policy-relevant outputs from EGU scientists, and support evidence-based policy. The Working Group provides feedback regarding current policy activities, outlines new EGU policy proposals to be approved by the EGU Council, and highlights opportunities for the EGU to collaborate with EU institutions to contribute to the EU’s policymaking process.
The Working Group is chaired by the EGU Policy Officer, and all Working Group activities are overseen and approved by the EGU Council and Executives.
Science for Policy Working Group members:
- Alessandro Allegra: Policy Officer, Chief Scientific Advisers (Scientific Advice Mechanism), Directorate-General for Research and Innovation, European Commission.
- Emmanuel Salmon: Head of Strategy & International Cooperation, Integrated Carbon Observation System (ICOS).
- Ilias Grampas: EU Affairs Manager, Secretariat of the European Parliament Intergroup on Climate Change, Biodiversity and Sustainable Development.
- Lene Topp: Project Officer, Knowledge Management for Policy Training and Network Unit, European Commission Joint Research Centre.
- Maria-Helena Ramos: Research scientist in hydrology and hydrometeorology at the National Research Institute for Agriculture, Food and Environment (INRAE) and EGU Hydrological Sciences Division President.
- Noel Baker: Project Manager, Royal Belgian Institute for Space Aeronomy.
If you require more information on the Science for Policy Working Group please contact:
Chloe HillPolicy Officer Phone +49-89-2050-76342